To assist excellent overseas students in funding their education, Canadian universities and colleges provide a variety of scholarships. Although Canada is one of the most affordable study-abroad locations, organizing the full tuition price is a time-consuming and expensive procedure. The most significant answer for anyone experiencing such problems is to apply for financial aid. Several grants and bursaries are available from the Canadian government as well as from public and private organizations. The best scholarships for Indian students in Canada not only require a good academic record, but they also depend on factors such as your desired destination, subject, and level. Therefore, the information provided here will educate you about the relevant financial aid for Indian students in Canada that is accessible and may be used to facilitate the process of enrolling in a reputed institute.
Available Scholarships for Indian Students in Canada
The amount and kind of awards provided vary at each institute in Canada. Obtaining financial aid is possible, but a student must apply in advance. Students from India may choose from the following options
- Government-funded scholarships
- Grants are offered by private organizations such as foundations and non-profit NGOs.
- Institutional grants or University Fellowships
The following are the popular scholarships available for Indian students in Canada:
Options for Undergraduate Indian Students
- University of Calgary International Entrance Scholarship
- University of British Columbia Scholarships
- Humber College International Entrance Scholarships
- York University International Student Scholarships
- Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship at the University of Toronto
- Winnipeg President’s Scholarships for World Leaders
- Carleton Prestige Scholarships
University of Calgary International Entrance Scholarship
The University of Calgary, founded in 1966, is an institution that is ranked 201-250th internationally and 8th domestically. It offers a research-oriented strategy that pushes the limits of knowledge to the forefront. This Canadian financial aid is made available to Indian students by the University of Calgary. It is one of Canada’s most renowned universities, with good monetary rewards, given to students who have excelled academically.
Award Value – $20,000 (Renewed annually)
- Candidates who are already enrolled in a full-time undergraduate program are eligible to apply for the grant.
- To be eligible for the award, you must have a minimum GPA of 3.20.
University of British Columbia Scholarships for International Students
Since 1915, the University of British Columbia has provided high-quality education to students all around the world. The University of British Columbia awards more than CAD 200 million in scholarships, honors, grants, and loans each year to recognize the brilliance and achievements of its current and continuing students.
- You must have a Canadian student visa.
- You may be new to UBC.
Humber College International Entrance Scholarships
Humber College provides renewable full and partial tuition scholarships to fresh foreign students starting courses in September and January each year. These are renewable; however, the student must maintain a minimum grade point average of 80% to be eligible for renewal.
Award Amount: CAD 20,000
- Non-transfer students who have not previously attended college or university, or who have not participated in Humber’s EAP program.
- It awards high school graduates degree scholarships based on academic achievements.
York University International Student Scholarships
York University, a multi-campus university with campuses all across Toronto, is a great place for study and research. York University offers World Champion of Tomorrow Scholarships and International Entrance Scholarships with distinction to Indian and other foreign students who wish to pursue bachelor’s degrees.
Award Value- CAD 140,000
- To pursue their studies in Canada, candidates need a study permit.
- A direct application to York University is required of all candidates.
- Excellent academic record with at least an A grade or its equivalent.
Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship at the University of Toronto
The Lester B. Pearson Foreign Scholarship Program at the University of Toronto is designed to honor international students who demonstrate exceptional academic accomplishment and creativity and who are considered extraordinary at their institutions. These awards, which are given each year, honor outstanding students from all across the globe, including those from abroad. It is a fully funded scholarship.
- Candidates must obtain a study permit to pursue an education in Canada.
- Candidates must be in their senior year of high school.
Winnipeg President’s Scholarships for World Leaders
Indian students who are enrolling for the first time in any of the university’s divisions are awarded the President’s Scholarship for World Leaders at the University of Winnipeg. The entry average for candidates must be at least 80% or equivalent, and they must participate in extracurricular activities.
Award amount- CAD 5000
- Candidates must have an entrance average of at least 80% or its equivalent.
- They must be starting a new program in its first year.
- Must have good leadership abilities and should be good at extracurricular activities.
Carleton Prestige Scholarships
One of Canada’s top universities of higher education is Carleton University. This institution, which is situated in Ottawa, boasts one of the most comprehensive scholarship programs. The Riordon and the Collins Prestige are for 4 years, while the Chancellor’s, Richard Lewar, Carleton University Scholarship of Excellence, and Carleton University SHAD are each valued at CAD 20,000–30,000.
- International students with an 80% or above entrance GPA and language requirements are eligible for a renewable entry
- The admissions average is dependent on their high school’s recommendation.
- If accepted, the award amount is based on their admissions average.
Postgraduate Scholarships for Indian Students in Canada
It’s a difficult task to balance a budget, particularly for a master’s degree. Here are some of the most well-known Canadian scholarship programs if you’re thinking about enrolling in a postgraduate program there.
- University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships;
- University of Waterloo Master’s Award
- McGill University Scholarships
- Alberta School of Business Scholarships
- University of Saskatchewan Graduate Scholarship
University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships
Since its founding in 1877, the University of Manitoba has been one of the leading research institutions in Canada. Canadian master’s degree scholarships worth over $2 million are available via the University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships (UMGF).
- The absolute minimum required GPA is 3.0.
- You need to be a full-time student of the university to qualify.
University of Waterloo Master’s Award
It is a great place to form partnerships and gain hands-on experience on a variety of topics because it attracts students from a variety of academic disciplines. The university has a variety of funding options, International Dtermsoctoral Student Award (IDSA), the International Master’s Award of Excellence (IMAE), Trudeau Foundation Scholarships, Bursaries, etc.
Award value: CAD 2,500 per term for a maximum of five
The website lays out the various requirements for each kind of funding option. Nonetheless, success and advancement in the classroom are of paramount importance.
McGill University Scholarships
This institution, situated in the city of Montreal, is a busy hub of academic activity. It is a public university, and McGill is one of Canada’s most respected universities for higher education. An impressive number of McGill students have been awarded Rhodes fellowships.
Award value- Valued between CAD 3,000 and 12,000 (renewable annually up to 3 or 4 years)
- Student status at the University must be “full-time.”
- They should provide evidence of financial necessity
- A minimum GPA set by the department must be maintained.
Alberta School of Business Scholarship
It is one of Canada’s finest business schools, offering master’s degrees such as a Master of Business Administration, a Master of Accounting, and a Master of Financial Management.
Award Value- Up to CAD 15,000
- Admission with a GPA of 3.5 or above
- A complete application form and a department nomination.
University of Saskatchewan Graduate Scholarships
Students are eligible to apply for the University of Saskatchewan Graduate Scholarship, which provides full funding for both the master’s degree and the doctoral degree. This awards up to $18,000 annually to graduate students.
- English required
- All University Graduate Scholarship (UGS) grantees must be full-time, continuing, or incoming graduate students.
- To apply for or hold a UGS, students must be in the first 36 months of a Master’s or Doctoral program.
- Continuing or prospective students must have at least an 80% average.
Obtaining Financial Aid by Means of a Scholarship
In our article highlighting the best scholarships for Indian students in Canada, we concluded that financial aid in the form of scholarships is given to deserving students as a means of supporting their further study. Full coverage, Student-Specific universities often offer overseas students grants and awards to help cover the costs of their education abroad. By gaining this advantage, college students are able to focus better on their studies and take advantage of extracurricular activities that help them grow as individuals and prepare for their future careers.